Saturday, August 14, 2010

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

So, the short version: Scott Pilgrim is my favorite movie this year. Even if your movie taste isn't exactly like mine, the movie is still very fun and very enjoyable.

The long version incoming in 3, 2, 1...:

Category: Indie Music Action Comedy Drama, if you need a better description, think High Fidelity (the movie) meets No More Heroes (the Wii game).

Premise: Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera) falls in love at first sight with Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) but must defeat her seven evil exes in order to secure his place in Ramona's love life.

Zer(o)verview:
So I already said this was my favorite movie this year, and for more reasons then just the style it was filmed. The movie is genuinely funny, the characters are interesting, and the battles are entertaining and fun. It's just a great movie altogether.

Some people may whine about it because they can't look past the geek factor of the filming style to connect with the characters, or they can look past that but don't understand why Scott needs a flaming katana to come out of his chest at one point (Yeah, that happens. Twice.).

Also, Scott isn't the typical "I'm super nice, why would you ever date those jerks instead of a nice guy like me" main character in a romance storyline, he's actually kind of a jerk in the beginning, but it works well. Scott milks his helplessness for female attention after his brutal break-up with superstar Envy Adams (Brie Larson) over a year ago. He sticks to dating high school girls until Ramona comes along, at which point, he doesn't even break up with the high school girl right away, he waits a few days. But I really think that adds dynamic to his character.

On the other side of the spectrum, Ramona Flowers is played pretty perfectly. I can't think of any way that Mary Elizabeth Winstead could've improved her except at 2 points. The fight with Roxy Richter when Ramona helps Scott, and the scene after Scott defeats Gideon Graves. Not the ending, she was excellent in that. I mean the scene right after the fight with Scott, Knives and Ramona while they're still in the Chaos Theatre.

The music track is INCREDIBLE. Music is the most important element of the movie essentially, and it's incorporated fantastically. There isn't a single time that I wish they had used a different song or sound.

As for the exes, I think that the director made the right decisions across the board. I'll do some bullets here to show you.

Matthew Patel-Satya Bhabba. I've never heard of this guy before.

Lucas Lee-Chris Evans. This is the mainstream star the director brings to the movie, except of course for Michael Cera.

Todd Ingram-Brandon Routh. People who watch the show "Chuck" might know him as Daniel Shaw, but he hasn't been in too many movies from what I know.

Roxy Richter-Mae Whitman. Reuniting Michael Cera with his girlfriend from Arrested Development was a smart move on the directors part I think. Mae Whitman played Ann Veal on the show, and also loans her voice to a slew of animated shows, namely Avatar: The Last Airbender, where she plays Katara.

The Katayanagi Brothers-Keita Saitou and Shota Saito. Again, never heard of these guys before.

Gideon Gordon Graves-Jason Schwartzman. Fans of indie movies should rejoice at this name. This is Max Fischer of Rushmore. That's right.


GROUND ZERO: I love this movie. I love this movie so much that I wanted to catch it again since it was showing 5 minutes after the one I went to see got out. But I had more pressing things to do, so I couldn't. This is easily my favorite movie this year, and it's in the running for my favorite movie of all time. It's fun, has a heartwarming story, funny, has interesting characters, and is filmed like No More Heroes. All winners in my book.

5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment